In 2017, the Josiah Media Festival celebrates its 11th consecutive year as one of the world’s longest-running film festivals exclusively for young filmmakers 21 years old and under. Each year, this festival has received increased international attention and participation. During the 2017 call for entries, we received over 1800 films, adjudicated 217 entries, and selected 12 winners from around the world!
This year’s Josiah Media Festival will take place at the URBAN-15 Studio in San Antonio from Thursday, October 19 through Saturday, October 21. Over the course of the three-day festival, we will screen the best 54 films from four categories (narrative, documentary, animation, and experimental) and offer three Saturday workshops for young filmmakers and film educators.
- Thursday, October 19 at 7pm
- Friday, October 20 at 7pm
- Saturday, October 21 at 2pm (highlighting young San Antonio filmmakers)
- Saturday, October 21 at 7pm (12 winning films followed by award ceremony and Skype conversations with winners from around the world)
- Saturday, October 21 at 11am: “3-D Filmmaking with Merge VR”
- Saturday, October 21 at 12pm: “Feed Your Crew on a Budget” (lunch included!)
- Saturday, October 21 at 3:30pm: “The State of Youth Media Education in Bexar County: A Roundtable Discussion.”
When Marcus and Nancy Neundorf met with URBAN-15 directors in 2007, no one could have envisioned that a memorial screening of films by their recently deceased son, Josiah Neundorf—a talented young media artist from San Antonio, Texas, USA who succumbed to bone cancer in 2006—would evolve into an internationally-recognized film festival. Since its founding, young filmmakers participating in the Josiah Media Festival have gone on to receive acclaim at other film festivals worldwide; garner attention from national and international media; excel at schools such as Tisch, USC, AFI, Chapman, Columbia and Ringling; and begin thriving professional careers.